I am ecstatic to be the one to tell you that our initial publication "Dark and Bitter" has been sent to the printer! We got the proof copy last week, it was very exciting, and looked amazing. As expected there were a few minor changes to make. These have been implemented and will make the final product look even better.
Through this publication process we have learned a lot. There have been trials and tribulations which could never have been predicted. I think it's important to review big projects like this for 'what worked' and 'what didn't work' so that we can improve on the next go around.
What Did Not Work:
Ordering local promotional materials. I personally thought that it was important to try and keep our purchases local. If we're trying to make sure that half of our authors are from the area then half of our products should be from the area too. This backfire in my face. We went to a local place to order our mugs. We were prepared for the cost to be higher than if we ordered them online. What we didn't expect was to have the product take four weeks nor the company to accidentally order twice as many mugs as we originally wanted, then try to charge us for it.
Doing the formatting for the ebook ourselves. This ended up taking a lot of time and making us far too frustrated. Next time we'll be hiring someone to do this for us.
Working with Susan Blackley of Written Image Press as our editor. She was absolutely fantastic. She went above and beyond what was requested. Her dedication and exceptional comments helped our authors bring their stories to the next level.
Working with up-and-coming local authors. Seeing their stories grow through the editing process, and seeing the author grow through the publication process, has been an absolute pleasure. It makes me really glad that we started this company. While I'm ready for a break for the holidays I'll be glad to get back at it with our next publication "Exploits in the Adirondack".